3D scanners are such fun gadgets that have quickly gained popularity. But these are still not as popular as 3D printers. This is why there are not many who really know about the uses and the benefits of buying a 3D scanner. The engineering and design sector, as well as manufacturing and testing can benefit from the use of this product.
3D printers allow you to print out and better visualize your designs. 3D scanners do the exact opposite. They help understand physical objects by scanning them three-dimensionally and thus giving an exact model to work on. This is very much like clicking a picture but just a step ahead as you capture not 2 but 3 dimensions in your picture.
When you buy a DIY 3D scanner here are some factors to look for:
- 1 Table of 5 Best Diy 3D Scanners
- 2 1. Handheld 3D Scanner high speed Scanning
- 3 2. 391230 Sense 3D Scanner
- 4 3. Matter and Form MFS1V1 3D Scanner
- 5 4. MakerBot Digitizer Desktop 3D Scanner
- 6 5. XYZprinting Handheld 3D Scanner 1.0 Pro
- 7 A final word:
Unless you are choosing one for a large scale enterprise application look for a lightweight portable scanner. This would be easier to handle.
2.The scanner’s sensor:
There are those that come with single scanner and those with dual scanners. The type of scanner present and the accuracy of the scanner would determine the accuracy of the captured model.
While these are the main features to look for you could also consider other features depending on where exactly you plan to use the scanner. Based on a consensus of the user reviews, a detailed analysis of the performance and the pricing here are the 5 best DIY 3D scanners available on the market.
Table of 5 Best Diy 3D Scanners
|3D Scanner||Price||Buy Now|
|Handheld 3D Scanner high speed Scanning||$399|
|391230 Sense 3D Scanner||$499|
|Matter and Form MFS1V1 3D Scanner||$570|
|MakerBot Digitizer Desktop 3D Scanner||$829|
|XYZprinting Handheld 3D Scanner 1.0 Pro||$240|
1. Handheld 3D Scanner high speed Scanning
If you are looking for precision this is one of the best scanners out there. This one is pretty lightweight and its compact design makes it a highly portable option. It delivers high resolution scanning with great precision in depth. No matter what the surface that is being scanned is, this one can efficiently do the work thanks to the anti-interference design. You would not need auxiliary jointing device here and the collage of the scanned objects would be created automatically.
- The responsive sensors allow quick scanning
- The scanning range of the device is large and this allows the user to easily scan wide objects as well.
- There are 3 cameras in the device and the speed of capture is 30fps. One camera captures the images and the others capture the actual depth to accurately add details.
- Installation of the scanning software might be a little complicated for those using it for the first time. But the support offered by the manufacturer is pretty good to sort this out.
2. 391230 Sense 3D Scanner
Not just in terms of the aesthetics of the design but also in terms of the performance this one has been quite popular. The practical design of the device is something that you would notice first. As a portable handheld scanner this one comes with a convenient to hold handle. The scanning surface is wide to capture enough details with one swipe. It can fit in an average laptop bag and is pretty light too. So you could easily carry it along.
- The versatility of the scanner makes it a useful gadget that people in various professions would find beneficial.
- The device is very simple to operate. This makes it a great choice for those who are purchasing their first 3D scanner.
- Though the details captured on average sized objects are good for very small objects it sometimes appear a bit lagging.
3. Matter and Form MFS1V1 3D Scanner
This is a compact scanner that comes in a sleek and sturdy design. There is a convenient charging adapter. You could also directly plug a USB cable to your PC to power the device. There is an easy power toggle button provided to turn on the device. This is a great device to scan small devices. All you have to do is place the object on the platform and allow the camera to scan the details. The rotating platform and the movement of the camera together make it easy to fully scan the object.
- The ease of operation is something that sets it apart
- For the features it comes with this is one of the most affordable models available
- You can only use this to scan small objects as the subject would have to be placed on the device’s platform.
4. MakerBot Digitizer Desktop 3D Scanner
When it comes to desktop 3D scanners, there are numerous choices. But if you are looking for something that is easy to use this one is a clear winner. It takes up very less space on your desktop.
- It gives high quality prints even in artificial indoor lighting conditions
- Every surface of the object and even the hidden nooks can be precisely captured.
- The device is easy to use even for those with no prior 3D modelling knowledge. The captured model is ready to be printed with a 3D printer.
- When it comes to scanning objects with sharp angles the output is not the best in the class.
5. XYZprinting Handheld 3D Scanner 1.0 Pro
Here is a scanner that looks so cool that it is hard to tell that it is actually a scanner. Do not get discouraged by the small size, it is great to use and gives some stunning 3D scan outputs.
- The design is intuitive and makes this product easy to use
- Scanning is quick and you could instantly print the scanned model without the need for any processing.
- The resolution of the scanned output is definitely not the best in the segment.
A final word:
These are the 5 most popular DIY 3D scanners that caught our attention. These are all available in different prize segments to suit users with different budgets. Overall the print quality is what you would want and all of these deliver some great quality prints. And one other common aspect is that all of these are pretty handy and convenient to use. If you are looking for a durable option, one that can cover all your basic 3D scanning needs, 3D SYSTEMS INC 3D Systems Inc 391230 Sense 3D Scanner is our favorite recommendation.